Friday, January 8, 2010

Electronic Medical Records? Not if I have anything to do about it...

I was born in 1979. I can recall when the VCR first came out and when the microwave oven was introduced to society; two inventions impacting the family and making life more convenient for generations to come. I remember getting an electronic type writer for one of my birthdays and this was the most exciting thing ever! Prior to receiving the typewriter, I wrote all of my stories by pen and paper. Oh, and lets not forget when Nintendo was developed.




Society has only continued to progress in the electronic/technology industry over the years, adapting to popular culture. In my opinion, progress for the greater good in general is always in the best interest of society.



On the other hand, considering the “Health Information Technology” (HIT) aspect of the health care reform involving our personal medical records, I am opposed to implementing more technology. Claims for more effective transcription and documentation of information, safer record retrieval, scheduling, coordination of care, improved communication, reduced medical errors due to adverse events in prescriptions and medication instructions and reduced admin costs through electronic claims adjudication only translates to one thing to me: my personal medical information is going to be all over the internet and this violates my rights according to the U.S. Constitution.



Yes, technology has its benefits…but I won’t be brain washed into believing it’s better than human beings.

2 comments:

Joe Baker said...

like every other innovation, it can be a blessing or a curse depending on who uses it. The same hammer one man uses to build a church, might be used by another to kill a child. The tool deserves neither the credit, nor the blame. This could be a real life-saver. instant access to medical records by emergency medical personnel, might be what saves you in the middle of the night. I am trying to think of a downside to it and comparing it to the benefits. I don't know that I have a problem with it. Which is good, because it is inevitable.

Christina said...

Thank you for illistrating your point by using the tool comparision. You really brought clarity to this for me.

I agree with all that you said. :-)