Saturday, January 16, 2010

I may have an unusual idea of what is beautiful...


Abandoned, old, farm, dusk
Originally uploaded by Christina G. Grigg

One day in ’09 my daughters and I were going for a drive, exploring new parts of Bella Vista, Arkansas and beyond. Listening to music with the top down on the convertible, daydreaming and enjoying a lovely summer day when we came upon this building.

I suppose it may be the combination of my personal interests that make this scene special to me, as I love history and architecture.

Sometimes I have come across old structures that were clearly used for business purposes by design but since their days of glory having long ago expired, the owners have either let the buildings lay abandoned or they are used for other purposes.

Interestingly, many of these structures stand with their original signs intact, although somewhat off kilter and faded. As one might imagine, over the years weather has beaten these buildings often.

The buildings are positioned in such a way to accommodate what was likely used as the main street during that time.

As I stand amongst history, whether it be an abandoned town, the Smithsonian museum or a battlefield…my mind escapes to what life must have been like then. These are the moments I enter a state of calm.

When touring a museum where a war took place, looking at the type of currency they used, the types of guns they used the food the people ate, it is amazing how much more difficult life was then.

I walk the trail through the woods leading to the battlefield. Reading the names on the plaque that is displayed there and running my fingers across what are now only words but represent those who gave their lives here.

Then, looking up across the field…

2 comments:

Ramanuj said...

i guess its a way of reaching out to a different sort of consciousness.

we take our way of life for granted, but it could be very different - its just a matter of little change in time/space! thought provoking write up :)

Christina said...

Why thank you! That was sweet of you to read my profile. :-)