Saturday, July 2, 2016

It Doesn't Have to Be the Best...Always

Stories is one of the first things which we are taught, perhaps even while still in the womb. I know that when I was pregnant I read to my babies. It was fun, engaging and helped my emotional connection with the unborn baby I was growing. So a STORY is not just a bunch of words, it is entertainment...
it is enrichment...
it is learning...
it is growth...
it is well...time, well spent.
And speaking of time, have you heard of the ancient story about Alexander the Great? Well, that story is one of my very favorite which I think of often and reference frequently. 
Just in case you haven't heard, allow me the honor of telling you.
Alexander the Great was a mighty warrior who lived many years ago. He became quite famous for conquering several Countries by many Wars. 
Along the way many miles from home Alexander the Great fell ill and lay upon his death bed. Having so, he called upon his Generals to give his last wishes. 

"First, I want only the finest surgeons of all the country to carry my casket.
Secondly, I want my hands to be hanging openly for all to see.
Third, I want all of my wealth - the rubies and anything I have to be scattered freely behind the funeral procession for all."

The Generals looked amongst each other aghast. They were all in shock of they just heard. Finally, the most trusted General asked Alexander the Great, "Sir, Why do ask of us these three things?"

To which Alexander the Great replied,
"First, I want everyone to know that when it is your time, not even the finest surgeon's can SAVE you.
Secondly, I want everyone to see that as you come into this life with empty hands, you also leave this life with EMPTY hands.
Last, I want everyone who comes to my funeral to realize the only thing we have which has any value is our TIME...so spend it wisely."

Interesting perspective and thought provoking isn't it?

I have personally spent many hours reading countless books and even more hours watching TV. My favorite author is Wally Lamb. One of his books is 'The Hour I First Believed'. I can't say it was his best, yet it was good. I won't apologize for having spent those hours reading his book. I spend several hours watching ID channel, 'Investigation Discovery'. Some of it I agree with...okay, most of it I do and find entertaining. I won't apologize to myself for spending those hours watching that either.

Should I apologize to my body though for hours I'm sitting their watching TV instead of doing physical activity?

I think not because I am a Christian and my body is but a vessel that I must be entombed in while on earth. However, I do nothing to excess. I do not eat in excess, I do not drink in excess, I do not watch TV in excess, I do not exercise in excess, I do not work in excess, I do not read in excess, I do not read in excess, I do not pray in excess, I do not avoid in excess.

So, in speaking of 'excess'...lets address that. Ladies, men do not care if you are 20 pounds in excess or not. You really shouldn't either. Love yourselves.

No comments: