Monday, July 4, 2016

Summer Light

When I first discovered it was common for people to enjoy thunderstorms, I was thoroughly disgusted.

Like...REALLY? C'mon people, get your own interests already! 

Now, I just roll with it. I guess everybody likes to watch true crime documentaries, read, bake and laugh until they cry. Not in that specific order of course.

My two daughters (now 13 and 9 years old) went to their daddies house on Friday for his 5 week summer visitation which is part of the Arkansas standard schedule. It's my least favorite time of the year because I really miss the girls a lot even though I still get to see them every other weekend. Its just that I'm used to seeing them everyday...ya, know?

The girls have been calling me everyday which has been a very nice surprise!! They miss me and love me and want to include me in their lives even when we cannot be together. I really like that. We are close which is VERY special. Actually...it is priceless.

Dr. Laura was RIGHT when she recommended that IF people get divorced they should NOT get married again until AFTER the kids are grown up. I heard her say that on the radio BEFORE I even thought about getting a divorce 10 years ago.

I understand this is controversial. Their are MANY good step parents out there who would argue with this recommendation. Even I can see some situations when remarriage has been beneficial so I cannot suggest that in anyway remarriage is a no go in all circumstances.

Logically speaking from a female perspective, with two female children statistics reveal the risks are greater than the possible benefits especially in consideration of the laws of no co-habitation. I mean, how well can you really know anyone just by going out to dinner with them a few times a month? Thanks, but no thanks.

Besides, guess what? Our children didn't get to pick their parents and they certainly didn't decide we split up. Plus, we only get one opportunity to raise our children. ONE. We should spend that time wisely. Would you like to know how I decided to spend my children's lives wisely?

I really feel sad to have to say this...

I had to choose between my husband and my kids.

My parents fought a lot in front of me and my sister when we were growing up and it did something to me. It changed me somehow.

I didn't want that to happen to my girls too.

I had to leave the love of my life in order to protect my children. In order to provide them with peace.

My ex-husband and me fought all the time in front of the children. We were together for two years before we got married, then married for ten years. It took me two years of deep thought and prayer and consideration before I finally made the final decision.

I also wanted for him to be happy and me too. And now we all are. He remarried shortly after the divorce. I remain single...8 years now.

Its important to be able to go home and feel safe and content and peaceful and loved.



*It has been scientifically proven that children who grow up in an environment of abuse develop many issues which carry on throughout adulthood affecting many aspects of life. 

REFERENCES:

Children and Domestic Violence:
http://www.nctsn.org/content/children-and-domestic-violence

Dr. Laura:
http://www.drlaura.com/







No comments: